Monday, July 13, 2009

Great expectations

Most parents these days have ambitious plans about their kids' future. They hope to fulfil their dreams or their dream career through their still-toddling wards. (For the sake of a career option he had left half way, my father nutured the hope that either of his kids would make it to the Indian Administrative Service. In vain.)
And now I find we are not immune to such vanities either. "I think he is going to be a finance guy. He will make a great chartered accountant," V expresses the hope as he looks at Ash.
"Uh, I dont want him to ruin his life. He will have better career options than that," I smirk.
"What would you like to be?" V asked Ash yesterday. "A doctor, a lawyer, an engineer?"
"A train engine driver," Ash replied calmly.
"I meant e-n-g-i-n-ee-r," V repeated.
"No, appa. I want to become an engine driver." His role models seem to be the engine drivers in a couple of nursery rhymes.
Mira, for her part, said she would like to be a doctor like her paediatrician.
M is planning to be a doctor, V told Ash.
"Is she going to be a swamiji?" Right now, for him a doctor is synonymous with the swami- ayurveda physician who treats him.
M is already insisting on a stethescope to begin her career. I need to find a toy one soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to them. and God bless them with best.
ust

dreamrunner said...

:)I wanted to be a bus conductor for a long time. then circle inspector.
Kochumon

Mini said...

I've heard my father telling he wanted to be a 'kalavandikaran'.In those days he was the only one who made regular trips to the 'TOWN', Changanacherry.The sight of him, sitting on the loaded cart, with a whip in his hand, thrilled my father to bits, he says.

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...