Monday, May 11, 2009

Unsung heroine

Of late, after the Sunday mass, I have been looking up on the church noticeboard the list of people celebrating birthdays and wedding anniversaries each week. And I felt particularly pleased that the 10th of May fell on a Sunday and I would see my name on the board too.

But in vain! While the names of every other husband and wife celebrating their anniversaries were listed, under the 10th of May the name of V alone was listed. Did the church office think he was man and wife rolled into one? Or it was probable that the V hasnt given any of our names - since my children's birthdays also dont find mention - to the office. Anyway, I shouldnt be having too many expectations on that front since the patriarchal society and churches of Kerala cannot be expected to respect women and children as entities worth their names.

I reach home and ask V why my name doesnt find mention. "I dont know. Dont bother me," he cuts the conversation short.

Anyway I should count myself lucky - I didnt end up getting a lecture from him for being late for mass. In fact I was ready and reading the papers while he shaved and bathed and got ready. It if had been the other way round, I would have had to hear an endless harangue until I entered church on how godless and devilish my ways were :) He just sighed and drove faster towards the parking lot (at the rear of the church) as we passed the church and the wandering eyes of the devotees nearer the door.

The celebration was confined to a call from my mom and an old college mate (I know... I havent forgotten the ones who emailed their wishes), a breakfast and lunch of partly leftovers (oops! need I say that?), a lunch treat of takeaway biriyanis for the watchman and his family of four and a dinner at a southern cuisine restaurant with another family. Hyderbadi/Nellore biryanis and kal dosais and naans later, we queued up at an icecream parlour breaking at the seams entertaining thirsty Chennaites trying to cool their systems with large helpings of softy icecreams with fancy names. I shared a bowl of delicious Chocolate Pop with V - and for once he didnt admonish me about the need to mind my blood sugar levels. :)

p.s. Cant say unsung actually ... V got me a pair of emerald studs from Tanishq a few days in advance.

1 comment:

ush said...

hmmm, nothing new i suppose..
maybe ask achen about it.
hope u enjoyed u'r ann
take care
ust

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...