Thursday, March 19, 2009

The friends

As I pack my lunch in the morning, Ash asks me: "Amma, are you going to office to eat?"
Yeah! I function like a government employee most often.
The next question is easier. "Amma, what is your sir's (teacher's) name?
I give my boss's name.
Ammede kootumarante perentha? (What is your friend's name?)
I ask the question to him in return.
Achachente schoolil kootumaran illa, only piller. For him, all his peers are kids while he remains the Achachen.
I tell him he stop calling himself Achachen (big brother). "You are Mira's Achachen, my Achin and Appa's Achukuttan."
"But my teacher calls me Asmin Daniel." He imitates the roll call in the class. He is No. 2.
He also knows the names of some of the piller in class. Jerin George, Kishore, Anjali... The first two seem to be his favorites. And Anjali, he tells V, is his girlfriend.
There she is, giving a very coquettish side glance on their Sports Day :)


From Kiddies' Sports day '08


Mira too can identify her classmates in the class group snap. Until now, she could/would not give me any of their names. Her school is preparing to wind up for this academic year (it will close on the 31st) and hence the class photo. There is also the school anniversary programme coming up on the 25th. We have been asked to teach her a Bible verse in English, and get her a pair of white shoes and frilly socks. The school will make a dress for her to wear at the function.

I have not been very successful in teaching her the verses, "Jesus is the only way to God. Those who beleive in him belong to him" since she doesnt speak any English except 'No' and 'Stop'. A two-day effort has meant that she can say "Jesus only way to Goal." I can go to the next sentence only when she gets the first right. And I hope I can manage it before the 25th. God help me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please make sure you write down the names of their class mates behind the class photo, if not already printed. They wouldn't remember the names of even their present best friends, this time next year!!

Anonymous said...

yeah, even I feel miserable when I am not able to recall my friends' names from LKG, but my mum can and she points out and says who were my best buddies then. :)

I think if you keep up this sort of posts, of what ash and mira talk, I will learn some little malayalam. And the new page layouts are all interesting. :)

- the other romila :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, please update me on how the English prayer verse pans out :) It's so exciting to think of your children at school--understanding their friends' names and personalities :) They're growing up already! Make them stop! hahah :) Much love! Jennifer

Ladybird said...

Mini: Thankfully, the names have been printed on the snap. So I know she gets their names right.
Rom: Dont go by their Malayalam! THey dont get the words right always. For instance, a (boy)friend is called kootukaran, not kootumaran as ash says. And the layout changes have been courtesy my hubby who has an artistic eye. He has promised to do something more with it when he has the time :)

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...