Saturday, October 25, 2008

Romancing the rains

Yesterday began sunny and warm after three days of incessant rain. However, I did not send the kids to school. Instead, I sent the dripping as well as the damp clothes out into the sun. But by afternoon the sun called it a day and let the raingods take charge.
What followed was one of the heaviest downpours I have seen in the city in recent times. It didnt matter as long as I was safe and dry in the chilling comfort of the office. Save for the two brief sprints to the canteen in the rain. There's nothing more fulfilling and romantic as watching the pitter patter of raindrops as you sip hot, steaming tea.
But not so when you venture out into the mad, bad world of slushy roads, infrequent and overflowing (with commuters) buses and cut-throat autorickshaw drivers, who make big bucks while the rains rage. I joined the sea of people at the bus stop, braving many a mosquito bite for half an hour. Hordes of people walked to their destinations or half-way to their destinations while traffice moved at a snail's pace. Many carried bags and suitcases and had to reach the train station or the inter-state bus terminus - probably they were going home for Diwali, which conveniently fell on a Monday this year.
I hopped two buses and reached home in 2 hours, as opposed to 20-30 minutes on a normal day. As I alighted at my place and smiled in satisfaction at my ingenuity, I saw two practically empty straight buses to my destination.
Today has dawned sunny again, but the weather forecast says "cloudy". If dark clouds come, can rain be far behind?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
sorry could not comment. interesting. enjoy. happy diwali too.busy week. comp down.
ust

Romila said...

Nice post here, hope you had a great Diwali too. Thanks for your wishes.

I see I am not the only one whose workplace is far.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...