Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Meeting Dr Patrick

Update: Dr Patrick is no more. He died some 8-9 years ago.

We finally met up with Dr. Patrick Yesudian yesterday evening. In case any of you in Chennai with an eczemic child wants to meet him, he is available Monday to Friday between 10 am -1 pm and 4-7 pm (except on Tuesday evenings when he is at Apollo hospital) in the first floor apartment of PA towers on PH Road, in the Pride Hotel premises (ph: 26411254). He charges a modest fee, though not nominal as Dr. Thambiah's.

Being a very rainy day, there are not many people in the waiting room. We reach on time, so we dont wait beyond 5 minutes. It is my first visit since V had been bringing Ash earlier. An old gentleman, he is patient and spends some 10 minutes with each patient. He doesnt treat my eczemic child like he has got a contagious disease - a couple of dermatologists we met earlier examine the way they would a leper - and demonstrates on Ash's arm, using his own bare hands, how to apply the creams and lotions.

He tells us once again that eczema is a dry itchy skin condition that should go off by the time the child is 7 if he is lucky. He looks at the reports - our misadventures with various doctors - and tells that an eczemic child is bound to test positive for food allergens and stomach lesions, so our allergy reports and abdominal scans are a waste of time and money. If we go by the allergy report, the child would have to be on a starvation diet! The best would be to try each food and stop only those which causes an itching within 2 hours of eating.

So we have shelved the Ayurvedic medicines for now. Ash is back to eating chicken, fish and icecreams. The way he pounced on all the taboo food has been very sad to see. To think the child desisted food for 5 months just because we told him it will make his body itch.

The dr also gave us a booklet from the National Eczema Society of the UK. V got it copied and I am studying it. He doesnt have the patience to read two paras of anything other than newspaper articles and his CA literature.

Does Yesudian mean Yesu nalla idayan (the lord is a good shepherd)??

Tailpiece: As I get him ready for school, Ash spots a framed picture of Jesus holding a lamb in his arms and asks me: Is that going "To market, to market to buy a fat sheep?"

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, Dr advise wise and correct . thats what u should stick too.. is me strong recommendation.eat everything little.. avoid nuts, an d some severe itching food.,like for sher its citrus,milk, wheat, fish(a bit she is ok)..
good luck stay with one Dr and just keep doing what they say. if its increasing check only on diet.
don't change DR or creams.
take care ust

Amos said...

I am sure he will be alright once he eats normal food.... I am also surprised to see tht nuts are dangerous, we have been eating nuts like no body's business all these years and was shocked to learn that nuts kill in US....AM

Ladybird said...

Thanks Usha and Miller. yes, the dr has advised us to train him to apply his own cream so that he can do so in school, the way kids abroad do. But I dont know if i can ask the teacher to do it for him.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Can you please send me Dr Patricks contact to fix and appointment.

Can you please mail it to kavitha@yoganishta.com

Thnakyou so much.

Unknown said...

Hello,

Can you please email me the contact info of Dr. Patrick for an appointment.

You can mail me at vikram.j210@gmail.com

Thanks a Lot

Unknown said...

Seems like the blog hasn't been updated for a while and I pray that your son has been cured or feeling a lot better now. I myself would like to share my experience meeting Dr Patrick Yesudian as a patient. I was affected by Candida for couple of years and visited many dermatologist and by a reference visited Dr.Patrick.

He looked at all the earlier reports and prescreptions by several doctors and simply told me that there is no cure for candidas unless I adjust my diet and my living style ( As a Head Consultant for a Multinational, my working hours are always not in one shift) He just told me to take a proper diet and suggested few body lotions to be applied to the affected area. Couple of months have gone now and as per his advice I am following the diet and I should say I am now 90% cured.

All the doctors I met earlier just gave me too many tablets that really affected my digestive system and the cure was short lived and the itching was back once I stopped the tablets.

I was surprised when Dr Patrick suggested that there is no need of any tablets for curing Candida and had apprehension if the suggested diet would work, but it really did and I should say that Dr Patrick is best and certainly a great person who does not treat his patients like money making machine.

One thing that is difficult is to get an appointment with him. He gives appointment only on Mondays for that week and you need to be there early morning to get appointment (There were around 70 people there to get his appointment as early as 7 a.m. in the morning).

Ladybird said...

hi, thank you for the long comment. We havent been going to Dr Patrick of late ever since we began the Vellore treatment, but even the the HOD of Derm at CMC speaks with such respect about Dr Patrick. Take care and get well.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just bumped into your blog accidentally. After 10 years of struggle with Psoriasis, and after meeting 10 doctors (Literally. Including Doctors at CMCH Vellore) I met Dr. Patrick in Chennai in the early 1990's. He introduced me to a systemic treatment and it worked. It works good even today, some 20 years later. While I have heard the same about Dr. Patrick from other dermatologists like yourself, I personally regard him as a very intelligent man who keeps abreast with the cutting edge solutions. I live in the US these days, but if I were in anywhere in the vicinity of Tamilnadu, I would not consult another dermatologist, for I know I am in good hands.
Whatever your decision is, may the best be with your son and family.

Anonymous said...

Great Article About Dr.Patrick Yesudian!! Rama Sethu

Anonymous said...

can anyone give me the contact number of his clinic??

sangeetha said...

I was suffering from leg corn problem for long and was searching for a good dermatologist. I happend to read this blog and tried to get appointment in Apollo hospital with Dr.Patrick. He gave me 2 oinments to apply in the affected area. Thank god when I met him for the 2nd consultation, all my pain has disappeared and I am able to walk like others.

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Ladybird said...

Someone told me the good doctor passed away some years ago. Same about Dr Thambiah.
My son has almost been cured of his eczema after shifting to the UAE three years ago. The water and weather seems to agree with him, I feel. My husband contends it is the result of all the ayurvedic medicines he took and the toxins in his body has been flushed out. But a day in the pool and his skin suffers again. He is off medicines and just moisturises himself ( he is 14 now) with Cetaphil Restoderm lotion or cream, Biolane, QV etc. There are numerous creams in the market for people with dry skin.

Just went through this old post and I am grateful to all of you above who commented or shared their experiences.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...