Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Open Day

Today was the first Open Day I attended at Ashwin's school. Like many other moms with busy husbands, I went alone. Ash did not come along as his teacher had told me yesterday - when we went in person to pick him up since he wasnt too well - that I neednt bring him. She told me he was dull (owing to his itching, which has got pretty bad around the face again) and she looked very sad for him. She asked me if I was showing him to the right doctor. It was a big relief to hear her say that he had quietened down and did his work quietly in his seat. The only problem was that he sometimes grabbed the interesting eatables - chocolate biscuits, cakes etc - that the other kids brought.
Today she tells me she feels bad to see him sit with his arrowroot biscuits or homemade chips when other kids bring fancy food. So she keeps him near her table. We discuss his performance, his behaviour, his health...
She gives me a list of the first term portions covered - Recognition and reading of A - Z; Writing of E, F, I, T, H; Stories of Red Riding Hood and the Thirsty crow. For conversation, the topics have been "Myself, my family and transport". In Colours - red, green, blue, yellow, brown and orange. As for Shapes - circle, square and triangle. In Numbers, recognition of 1-5 and writing of 1,4, 7.
I sip the coffee she has proffered, look at his worksheets and marvel at the handiwork. Some pages, especially of June, are marked absent. On the whole, the teacher is happy with him and doesnt think that he will warrant repeating a year as the principal had warned. She is more worried about his health. She asks me to show him to Dr. Thambiah the dermatologist.
Mrs. Jothi is a good, kindly, motherly soul and I am glad my son has her to take care of him and his initiation into the world of formal learning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, sounds like open house days here. curriculum wise too. but here, 1st grade sher is rushed through to H writing big/small,songs,
no's & in 2's,5's,10's,
spelling 2 letter words etc all from last yr.refreshing.
reading..
Ash seems to have a loving, good teacher.May he get better soon. climate(pollens..) also has effect.
sher allergy high now.
take care
ust

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...