Saturday, August 23, 2008

The shepherd and the boy

Just as most kids in Kerala I grew up learning parodies of popular songs, hymns and rhymes - of the national anthem, the suprabhatam song, church littanies etc.
At 4 years my son is already graduating to that level. He has probably inherited the skill from his dad, who is superquick with his quips, repartees and parodies.
The first experiment has come by way of Psalm 23 which Ash calls Yehovah ente idayanannu. Reciting the psalm is ritual for him before he goes to sleep but of late he has been getting a bit playful about it especially if I read it out for him (he is more wary of his dad).
Ente muttinnu vedana edukkunnu (my knees are paining in place of I shall not want)
Ninte vadiyum kolum eduthu appa enne adichu (Thy rod and thy staff my appa uses to beat me)
Ente shathrukkal kaanke appa enne adichu (Appa beats me in front of my enemies)
Ente thalaye enna kondu pani pidichu (Anointing my head with oil has given me a cold)

Better is what his cousin sister has come up with.
Thou anoints my head with shampoo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have an award

Anonymous said...

hi, we laughed our head off.. good for him for trying to do it.
God bless.'take care ust

dreamrunner said...

Great ones! Better than the parodies that our uncle used to attempt(before he went a little cuckoo over faith).

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...