Friday, June 27, 2008

Mama and Mia

Ash is coming tomorrow with his grandparents. Arent we all excited? We are sprucing up the house and planning to hide away all the daily-play plastic toys.
When V spoke to him yesterday night, Ash said: "Achacha is coming to Madras. Appa, please come to the (train) station."

We have taught Mira to respond to one basic question in English: What is your name.
And she responds: Miam.
And as an aside, she whispers to me: Appi parayalle! Appa achum. (Dont use the word Appi. Appa will beat). She has learnt it the hard way :)
Appi, the most obscene word in her vocabulary, and which she used at leisure when anyone asked her her name, is a taboo word now except when she actually wants to shit.
I am sure she will be able to comprehend and speak in English in a couple of months at the new school. Since we speak only Malayalam at home, she hasnt picked up as much English as many of her peers here do.
The name Miam gives me an idea. I am toying with the idea of calling her Mia. What say you? I dont like the chosen pet name Kripa while Mira remains only her screen name (for the blog and email correspondence). I need to call her something less babyish than Vaava soon. My dad, who doesnt like the name Kripa, calls her Maria-kutty.
But if she were to study in Kerala, she might get cat calls with a name like Mia.
Miaow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My vote is for Mia

the other romila said...

yoo hoo...we want ash stories back too.
and mira is very cute. mia also. Mia sounds more american and she may like it too.

Anonymous said...

Mia certainly sounds cuter!

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...