Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Millstones around the neck

Reading some web literature on ADHD, makes me feel that I had/has some of its symptoms.

The principal characteristics of ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. ..Because many normal children may have these symptoms, but at a low level, or the symptoms may be caused by another disorder, it is important that the child receive a thorough examination and appropriate diagnosis by a well-qualified professional.
A child who “can’t sit still” or is otherwise disruptive will be noticeable in school, but the inattentive daydreamer may be overlooked.


I am what could be called a daydreamer and when its involves daydreaming in class, at church while a sermon is on or "sleep-praying" through much of the Holy Mass, I think I must have been an undetected case of ADHD. Luckily for me I grew up in times when hyperactivity or inattentiveness was considered okay. There were hyperactive kids or short-statured kids in class or in the neighbourhood but that did not make them ADHD or Silver Syndrome candidates. But in this age everything is a problem and each problem has a name. There are milestones to be achieved and miles to go before before a kid even starts walking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, how is everything going?yeah maybe having 1 parent around with attention for kids may improve speech..
than having diff people(maids0watching..as each person comes goes..maybe thats what Dr trying to say?
good luck..may God bless u in u'r decisions.
ust

dreamrunner said...

On these standards, i am sure i had/have ADHD. I have never listened or focussed in church for more than 30 seconds and in class for more than 5 minutes, i think. still struggle to listen to people at long meetings or stick to one task for more than a few minutes. i think we have done ok inspite of all this and i am sure a little bit of parental attention will make it better. good luck. dont worry too much.
ADHD Association in Liberia :)
Kochumon.

Grousewife said...

You are talking of yourself but I worry myself sick thinking that Tejas has all the symptoms. In fact his teacher told me in the last PTA meeting that he is disinterested in studies and he clearly shows his disinclination instead of even pretending to be aborbed in what is being taught in class. But i console myself by thinking that if i can go through life then he is much more confident than I am.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...