Thursday, January 17, 2008

Chennai sangamam

The cultural fest that entertained most Chennaites in the Pongal season. A scene from the Skating Park at Shenoy Nagar... And tired folk artists wait for their bus to leave after the show.

We went for the show at the Anna nagar Tower Park (of the Pavanayi Shavamayi fame to most Malayalees who have watched the film Nadodikattu) on three nights and once to the Skating Park at Shenoy Nagar. V's interest was mainly in the food fest on the sidelines, so I didnt get to watch much of Tamil Nadu's folk music and dance on show at the parks in Chennai during the Pongal week. Only yesterday we stayed to watch a 20-minute Chendamelam by a women's troupe from Kottayam (I suspect they were the same we had glimpsed at the inaugural of a shop on the Kottayam route when we were there) - that was quite a feat, I should say, since those drums are real heavy. It had a full audience and their undivided attention. My kids loved it too - at least Mira was. Ash for a change was distracted by the icecream vendors and the balloon sellers.

I also got to see a bit of kaavadi attam and some other folk dance by men in shiny pink outfits. And folk music and skits and dance drama, which I didnt really understand since I have only a basic knowledge of Tamil. Maybe next year I should make it a point to watch for longer hours and get to understand the arts and culture of the State I am residing in.

1 comment:

the other romila said...

Hey.... some IIT friends were saying how IIT, Anna Univ and other places were just taken for granted as venues. All as long as they are ruling....wonder what Amma will do about this when its her turn. Probably send a midnight squad and arrest performers! ;)

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...