Thursday, October 25, 2007

A hospital day

Taking advantage of a 50% discount at Apollo hospitals, Chennai, I went for a mammogram late in the morning yesterday - I could in fact call it noon. Apparently there is some campaign at the hospital to spread breast cancer awareness this month, hence the discount.
Dr. Uma Krishnaswamy who recommended the mammogram when I went to her two weeks back on the advice of our clinic gyneacologist had said that an ultrasound was not enough to detect any malignant tumor or growth. The routine ultrasound scan I had done a couple of months back had thrown up a harmless cyst or whatever, which turned out to be just a fat lobule in yesterday's scan.
It must be common to go for routine tests to detect breast cancer or ovarian cancer in the US but here it is yet to catch up. Maybe a few paranoid ones like me goaded by company doctors would take it.
There were quite a few North Indian patients at Apollo, which surprised me since Delhi has an Apollo too. The mammograph technician told me that the Chennai Apollo especially Dr. Uma had a reputation in cancer treatment.
I cant be sure, since a family friend had gone through hell in a dingy single room at the same Apollo and incurred an expense of about Rs. 5 lakh before he bid goodbye to all the suffering and gave up the ghost.

Evening I once again went, this time to the children's hospital, to get Mira vaccinated against typhoid and Hepatitis. With the monsoons setting in, Chennai will soon be the hotbed of epidemics like cholera and typhoid.

4 comments:

Joyismygoal said...

Thats good youare taking care of your families health

Anonymous said...

hi, glad all tests went ok
take care ust

Anonymous said...

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month here in the US, so I wonder if the hospital was following that strategy? Good to hear that the tests were clear.

Ladybird said...

YEah, i think it is worldwide.
IT was Rs.800 as against Rs.1600 normally (for the benefit of google searchers).

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...