Thursday, August 02, 2007

A citizen complains!

Today, I registered a complaint against an autodriver who inspite of overcharging me, decided to drop me 50 metres before my destination. He said he had underestimated the distance and had quoted me a fare which he thought was less than what he should have asked. Like the rest of Chennai's autowallahs, he had refused to put the meter and had instead quoted a figure he said was a fair fare.
I have been paying 30-50 % extra every day to reach office by auto (high time I brush up my car-driving skills and use one) but like most of Chennai's passengers, I did not have the time or inclination - after all, what use will it be - to complain to authorities on the phone numbers given in the newspapers when auto fares were revised early this year. But yesterday's fleecing prompted me to hunt for the phone numbers on the net and store them in my mobile. And I put it to use today. The lady I spoke to was pretty courteous for an Indian bureaucrat and said she will take action - I gave the auto's registration no. I even SMSed the complaint to the mobile no. (9841808123) provided. (If any other Chennai citizen wants to lodge a complaint, one of the landline nos. is 044 26215969)
I think if everybody starts reacting, there might be some change in the attitude of Chennai's notorious auto drivers - auto taxi fares in this metro are reportedly the worst among the big cities of India.

4 comments:

Elsie Button said...

good for you, making a complaint. i think more people should, otherwise they just get away with it. sickening.

Anonymous said...

hi, good for u. keep it up.and get others/neighbours friends to do it..
these things been going on for yrs..
take care hopes A is doing ok. ust

Joyismygoal said...

I agree good for you

Ladybird said...

Thanks all! I just hope it yields some result.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...