Saturday, August 18, 2007

At the Welfare Centre

Today was a day dedicated to blood tests for me, V and Ash at the company clinic - blood sugar, thyroid etc. The kids were up at 5.30 am today and had a rudimentary game of cricket (I guess it is an inborn talent in every Indian kid these days)and exercise in the cool early morning breeze - thanks to the sharp shower yesterday night. Leaving a howling Mira behind, we embarked for our destination at 7.30 am on an empty stomach to give the fasting blood sugar. Drawing Ash's blood for testing was an effort and three of us had to pin him down for that. He however got a candy for being brave.
A packed breakfast and vending machine coffee later, we sat on a granite bench on one side of the building while Ash had his fill of running up and down the grass as well as the ramp for the handicapped. He made friends with the other patients and went around showing the handiplast over the vein.
Waiting 1 1/2 hours for the post-prandial sugar test is a pain, and killing time is not easy when shops dont open before 10 am. I took out a book to read...
On the way back, we dropped in at Lifestyle Home centre near the Alwarpet bridge, which had a sale on. I picked up a small African figurine, a set of towels and a tumbler from Thailand for Mira. We vowed to make another leisurely trip for window curtains (a pending project at home) and vases.
Had an early lunch at Prime Roaster - BBQ-ed chicken, rice, burger etc. - before making it to office. Ash was asleep on his seat when I got off.

3 comments:

Joyismygoal said...

I have had that test w/ each of my four pregnancies but never other than that. Did you have to drink the over sugary drink? Do you have diabetes in your family or is that just a routine test.

Anonymous said...

hi, sounds like a very big hectic day.. congrats on updating everything..
will see u. take care.hope results come ok. god bless ust

Anonymous said...

I just had routine sugar tests, not the GTT which requires the sugary drink. I had gestational diabetes for both my pregnancies, so been advised to check my sugars every year - but i havent after my last delivery. Finally gathered the courage to take it. Doctors increasingly advise us here to take tests after age 30.
I am a hypothyroid and on tablets. Ash had a thyroid test to check his poor weight gain.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...