Friday, July 13, 2007

Two leaking roofs

I am like a cat who likes to catch fish without getting its feet wet. I mean, I like to watch the rain but I dont like getting wet.
And yesterday was one day I got caught in a heavy downpour. It has not been easy not getting my feet wet since it has been raining most evenings this week. But I had started out during a spell of cloudy calm, hoping I could catch an empty bus. But no sooner had I spent 5 minutes there than I felt the raindrops. A drizzle that soon became a sharp shower accompanied by fireworks in the sky.
The two-dozen commuters waiting at the bus stop ran to the dark bus shelter. Unfortunately for me, I chose a spot where the roof was leaking. I held my folded umbrella over my left arm which was all but wet. Another lady had her right arm all wet.
I let the first two crowded buses go. The third came with many a vacant seat and I waded through ankle-deep blackish water. I gleefully jumped in only to find that the seats were almost unusable - they were wet through and through, but I sat on one of them anyway. I had a half- hour-to-one hour journey before me... But what I didnt bargain for was another leaking roof.
Strangely there was no traffic jam - Chennai is notorious for traffic jams during a sudden downpour when the traffic lights conk off.
Reached home - three-fourths wet - an hour later to be greeted by two febrile kids on either arm of their harried father.
p.s. Apologies for a lousy post - a jinxed Friday the 13th post!

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...