Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Candle in the kitchen


It is back to my bread-butter and oats-for-breakfast days at home. I cant be bothered with cooking elaborate, time-consuming Kerala dishes for breakfast. Today's breakfast cooking was relatively easy too - the 2-minute Top Ramen noodles.
V has told me that I neednt bother about churning out Malayali bf in the absence of a maid but I feel guilty. So on most days last month aproned Mary made a valiant attempt to produce on the breakfast table, our staple idli/dosa and sambar, appam-stew, puttu& kadala curry etc in between cleaning poop and pools of urine (an un-diapered Mira being the culprit), sterilising the bottles (both refuse milk in glass, anything else they are willing to drink from a glass), getting Ash's snack-box and school bag ready and putting up with various degrees of toddler tantrums. The less said about the lunch, the better.
But I am slowly getting burnt out. And bread-butter is one way I can keep myself burning.
***
Reading the newspaper is a luxury at home. I thought I could catch up a bit on what's happening around the world while the kids watched passersby from the balcony. Ten minutes later I check on them and lo! Ash had spat half a bottle of water onto the road - I wonder how many passerby felt the showers of blessing on their heads.

No comments:

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...