Saturday, June 30, 2007

Retail traffic

A Reliance Fresh store selling fresh foods and groceries has opened up in a street near mine today. But since there is no parking space on that road, there was utter chaos on that road as I was passing by. A traffic jam that meant even pedestrians couldnt find a way out. Some of the store salesmen looked sheepish as they made an in vain attempt to sort out the chaos, while a clown outside the store, distributed balloons - I wouldnt have minded taking one for Ash if I were returning from office and not going to office.
On the plus side, it means I can do any emergency shopping on my way home. I neednt wait for the shopkeeper at the whole sale provision shop to cast a sympathetic glance at my direction and give me first preference from among the dozen clients. Though I do a good part of my provision buying over the phone, I love browsing for stuff - be it groceries or books.
I am sure the store will get some eager patrons from the apartment complex opposite - but how long it will survive on that busy narrow street, I wonder. Some other businesses on that stretch closed shop and found better pastures with parking space.
Coincidentally, I am working on a story about Reliance sorting out farm produce for its stores and selling the lower grade vegetables back to the market at a lower price.

My first day purchase made late evening on my way home - mangoes, tomatoes and home-made cake!

2 comments:

Elsie Button said...

i ate so much mango at the weekend. a friend's mum gets box loads when they are in season. they were delicious! the ones i buy from the supermarket are horrible, so stopped buying them, so was a real treat!

Ladybird said...

yeah, the seasonal ones taste better. In India, we get it only in summer, say from April to July. The early ones taste bland and horrible because they are ripened using chemicals and stuff. The ones available now, even at he big shops, are delicious.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...