Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sibling rivalry

Babycentre explains what's behind sibling rivalry:
It can be especially hard for a 2-year-old — who thinks he's the center of the universe — to welcome a new baby into his home. While older siblings tend to act out their rivalries by arguing, name-calling, ... your 2-year-old can't quite get a grip on how he feels or what to do about that annoying newborn. Desperate to win back your attention, he may react by misbehaving or regressing (jumping on the sofa when you're trying to nurse, sitting in the baby's seat, or refusing to use the potty after he's been doing it for months). He may even try to punish his new sibling by yanking her arm or snatching her rattle.
Refereeing sibling rivalry isn't for the faint of heart. But by preparing him for the explosion that's about to rock his world, you can minimize the headaches and make life at home more harmonious.
That kind of explains Ash's behaviour the past 1 year. He unlearnt things he had learnt (such as toilet training) after Mira came, became more rebellious and difficult and bullied her the moment we turned our back. It has been pretty hard on him that M came when he was just one and a half - it robbed him of his childhood and he became the Big Brother. Though he immediately learnt to call her 'Vaava' (of late he has modificed it to Va-why) he could not understand the sudden loss of attention. There were nights when he would refuse to go to sleep on the bed late in the night and rested his head on my lap hoping I would put aside the crying baby and rock him to sleep.
We are not being fair on him and his increased tantrums have made things doubly hard for us as well as him. I am just waiting for the day when they will turn five or so and more sensible.
My mom says the sibling rivalry between me and my bro hadnt been so critical. He came 3 1/2 years after me. My first memory of him was at the hospital in Pathanamthitta, when my grandma took me to see him. I had gone with a packet of candies for the doctor. But more than my infant brother, my eyes were on the sweet packet that was kept on a shelf above his bed. When I tried to retrieve it, I got a stern warning from the elders that I should keep off teh baby. I decided I didnt like the lil' fella after all. My parting shot that day was: Dont bring him home!
But he did make my home his home, with the result that I was shunted out of my parent's room to my grandma's room. And there I remained, until I left the house for greener educational pastures.

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...