Saturday, January 27, 2007

Un'fare' revision

As usual, I reached the auto stand a little before the clock struck 12 - a la Cinderella.
"Hurry, get me to my office in 15 minutes sharp. I am already late." I didnt tell him that his auto would turn into a pumpkin and he into a rat if he failed.
"And does the new fares apply from today? Do I pay less or the same?" The autos from the stand near my house exacted a fixed fare from me for the daily commute.
"Uh uh, madam. It remains the same."
"What about the meter?" The goverment/RTO had instructed the public to pay only meter charges and that too, only electronic meters which cant be tampered with. The passengers could lodge a complaint with the Transport office on such-and-such numbers against erring autowallahs. The basic fare (for a minimum of 2 km) had been hiked from Rs. 7 to Rs.14 and Rs. 6 for every additional km, since yesterday.
"The meter is not meant for autos hired from stands, but only those u hire at random on the road." I didnt understand his logic.
"Traffic... ma'am. It is justn ot feasible to use meters in this kind of traffic. Even the drivers who take u on a meter ride, would ask you to alight and find you own way if they see a traffic jam. Think of the petrol burnt." I didnt tell him that Bangalore and Delhi faced traffic jams, but autos were much more reasonable and meter-driven.
I changed tack. "How much profit do you make a day?"
"Without meter I can make at least Rs. 300. With meter, less than half that amount. I have to give the marwadi who rents the auto to me Rs. 140 a day. What will I have left then?" he lamented.
Fair enough if autorickshaws in Chennai doesnt heed the fare revision and continue to fleece the hapless public.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/01/12/stories/2007011202590900.htm

No comments:

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...