Tuesday, January 23, 2007

This madhouse of mine

My home has become an inn where I rest my wearied body at the end of the day and my family fellow inmates. I hardly find time to cuddle my lil daughter, who is about to go to sleep when I reach home. The rest of my waking hours are spent battling/discplining my hyperactive son along with my dear ol' hubby.
The computer made its entry home yesterday. It has 17" Samsung LCD monitor among other paraphernalia. I hardly had time to explore it though I did manage to get a DVD (Open Season) and nursery rhymes CDs for Ash.
My school hunt has progressed to a new Mont in my locality called Different Strokes. V had located the ad in the paper and asked me to check. I quite liked the lady-in-charge, who seemed friendly and send me a couple of SMSs to egg me on. So I had a peek at the place on my way to work. They seems to have all the necessary stuff - from bamboo mats to chapati rollers, hopefully they will teach him a bit of alphabets and stuff in the process.
If i manage to convince V ( he is still wary of the fancy system and their fancier fees - 3000 adm fees and 3750 per term), I can put Ash there by beginning of next month. V thinks Ash doesnt need to learn to clean cobwebs or mop floors and he wants some solid ROTE learning - he insists on sending him to Faith Int'l.
Our present plan for Ash is to shift him to a Kendriya Vidyalaya in Class 1. A colleague has promised to help with KV admission which is almost like IIT admission, I learn. For one, it is meant for children of people in the Defence services, Central govt. staff and other transferable job people. Their fees is pretty low by city standards and the icing on the cake is that they give free education for single girl children.
I know we have too great expectations for our lil 3-yr-old but I guess it is natural for parents to have such high hopes about their children. Today, my dad makes fun of our ambitions for Ash and Mira but there was a time when he wanted me and my bro to become IAS officers!
I will sign off as I have a wedding reception to attend.

2 comments:

Desperate Housewife said...

My three year old is going to pre-kindergarten in the fall. It isn't offered in our province, however, so we're sending him to a Montessori school. He's very excited already.

dreamrunner said...

Hi,
Montessori sounds like a good idea. I am as always, skeptical of the lord's shepherds' (and shepherdesses') ability to equip kids with a wider perspective that is so critical to survive outside Kerala's 'holier than thou' terrain.
KVs are also not the best schools because the commitment of teachers is usually very low (secure, government jobs). There is also very little stress on co-curricular activities, which at a young age are very important.The crowd can be a bit different too.
That doesn't leave too many choices, does it? Anyway, all this and more on the phone. Right now Tulika and I are enjoying mom's 'chakka aluva'.

Love,
Kochumon

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...