Monday, October 30, 2006

From Babycentre

Learn more fascinating facts about your 13-month-old's development
Time to wean?
For some mums, weaning is a sad time because it marks the end of a special, intimate closeness with their child. Others are happy to find new ways to feed — and comfort — their toddler.

Weaning is a long goodbye - emotional, sometimes painful, and liberating at the same time. But weaning needn't signal an end to the intimacy you and your child have established...

Had to wean Mira when I left her behind in Kerala at about 11 months. The day before I left, I let her sleep with my m-i-l. Mira cried much of that night but I had to keep away. She searched for me the next few days and then slowly forgot about the night feeding. Though I tried to revive it when I got her back, she didnt seem keen. I realised I had to give up - though I felt a bit lost and sad about ending that special bond with my baby. Ash also had to be weaned at 8 months when I had to send him to m-i-l owing to the lack of a good domestic help. We have been so much at the mercy of maids!

4 comments:

dreamrunner said...

Interesting...
I notice that here in the UK, babies are weaned much earlier...often within 2-3 months of birth. remarkably, the kids seem to cope fine without much of the fussing and cooing that babies get in India. in fact, they seem to deal with minor hiccups on their own.

on the other hand, i read a recent newsreport that 'cot deaths' which are so common in the UK are unheard of in India or china. most cot deaths occur within the first few months of births and almost always when the baby sleeps alone. cot deaths have been attributed to minor heart attacks that babies suffer due to the absence of emotional comfort.
so i guess weaning after a year is a good balance.

love,
kochumon.

Ladybird said...

Speaking of baby cots, I envy the westerners for being able to instil so much independence in their infants. HEre I/maid have to put on our shoulder and sing to her for hours to get her to sleep. And then when u think she is asleep and put her on the bed she springs up and we have to start all over again. It is so exasperating!
At least I try to get her to eat/drink on her own which the older generation here doesnt like to do. My maid likes to hold the bottle for Mira and mil likes to spoonfeed her grandkids as old as 10 yrs. I guess we INdians should learn to let go.

Anonymous said...

Hi, now a days women don't b'feed 'cos of many reasons.. some as they are working..here they start bottles as soon as possible so they can go where they want and still feed the kid with out b'feeding.. some take the trouble of pumping and feeding them on the go..
my kids all b'fed to about 16-20mths age.. its a bonding its true.. also i feel all our kids here who are b'fed walk /talk faster.. the rest the parents r left worrying..!
also our kids score better too..fall sick less with ear infections..etc..if they r fed by breast.
regarding feeding our kids.. i feed the younger 2 together so they will eat fast and not drop everywhere.. and eat meat/vegs.. yes, here too our indians feed 10 yr olds seen that..!
sometimes the young ones eat alone at party..
no, leaving kids alone also at young age is not good as the choices here kids do for eating will be coke/etc or cookies/pizza's..when they have all kinds of food..
i feel each parent should judge how their kid does and give freedom accordingly.. shereen now knows she should ask if their is peanut as she is higly allergic.. so i leave her with out much monitoring..!but still have to watch out..!
good luck with yours.
ust

Anonymous said...

Your style is very unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from.
Thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity,
Guess I will just bookmark this page.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...