Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Child rights?

Yesterday I was sitting at the bus stop lost in my thoughts when a young girl in school uniform came and said something to me.
'Yes?' I asked politely.
'Move and sit,' she said.
The seat next to me was vacant, so I said: " You may sit here."
"No, I want to sit where you are sitting, so move!"
"Then keep standing."
"Move!" she said in Tamil.
"Is this the way they teach you in school to talk to elders?" I asked, losing my temper.
She glared and came and sat between me and an old gentleman on the stone bench. She reeked of sweat. From her uniform, I assumed she was probably a Corporation (govt.) school student.
"Nobody has spoken to me so sternly. Not even my daddy."
"That's the problem." I said.
"You talk like my chithi."
"Which class are you in?" I asked.
"6th standard. And I am the first rank holder in my class."
"Oh! but dont they teach you good manners? You should take lessons in humility first," I remarked. The old man was quiet, he didnt want to get into the debate.
"But I only asked you to move and sit. Why do u make such a fuss?"
"You cant go around ordering others like this. Especially when there was a vacant seat," I told her.
She did not get my point. However, she said: "Ok, then I am sorry."
"That's better, " I said, not feeling any better. My mercury levels would take some time to come down.
She got into the next bus that came.
Her arrogance made me wonder what got into kids these days. Is it because they are too pampered that they want things their way even if it inconveniences others? Will my kids grow up like this too? Bringing up kids these days is more difficult, they know how to blackmail and get things their way. Parents who dont have the time for them are more vulnerable to bullying.
I had grown up not daring to ask for anything. My parents got me only what they thought I would need and not what I thought I'd need. I still remember my dad gifting me a 5-star chocolate when I stood first in First standard. The gifts were so few and far between that I valued them.
But we are smothering Ash with things he asks - no wonder the house has umpteen balls (he has a weakness for balls and balloons).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

arrogant child. well... had plenty of such experiences .. yes .. it takes ones temper to highest boiling point..also i remember once, meeting a fly which came from india after we came here... and their kids shocked me!

It's the nice new world of tv...our kids watch and pick up. usha

Anonymous said...

I despair at the way kids are brought up these days.
Overindulged by their parents and consequently selfish in their outlook.
A recipe for dissatisfaction and social upheaval. I don't think we can
blame kids for the values we instil in them though. Parents are largely
to blame, and politicians obsessed with keeping electorates happy at the
expense of responsible and sustainable social policy.

L

Anonymous said...

You know I feel I am living your life when I read your blog. Its very cool.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...