Saturday, October 06, 2007

Random revelations

1. My childhood heroes included Karna (of the Mahabharata fame) and Horatio Nelson. Maybe I had a thing for fallen heroes.

2. I was a master story-teller for my friend and junior in school Reshmi. Everyday as we travelled in the bus to school I would tell her stories I had read in the children's Malayalam magazine Balarama and from the 101 tales for children. I dont think I have narrated tales to anyone after that. Unless you call blogging story-telling.

3. My father fed me with books on Greek and Roman mythology borrowed from the public library at Tanzania when I was 11 years old. I was enamoured of the Greeks and Greece until I had a Greek penfriend (probably when I was 12 years old) whose letters in English were hilarious. Not hahaha funny but the language was so bad and difficult to understand.
4. Around the same time, I got an American penpal named Sandie who sent me snaps of herself in ballet dress. (No, I am not in touch with her now.) And I liked the name so much then I thought I would call my first kid Sandie!
5. I am claustrophobic. My greatest fear is getting stuck in a lift.
6. I thought Phantom's wife Diana was the most beautiful creature on earth when I was a kid. The Ghost Who Walks fascinated me in a way Mandrake and Tarzan never did.
7. As a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut since I thought the stars and space was the right job for a dreamer like me.
8. But I was poor in Maths. I once got caned by my Math teacher for scoring just 29/50.
9. I still read Tintin and Asterix if I get my hands on them.
10. There was one point which had made me want to blog this random things, but I cant for the life of me remember what it was. I think I was standing in the boss' room when I had that brainwave. Maybe some day I will remember what it was.

2 comments:

dreamrunner said...

Interesting :)
I enjoyed your stories too (especially from Nootonnu Balakathakal and Greek Mythology). My biases for and against Greek gods were also influenced by you!
I remember Sandie in her ballet dress and thought she was very pretty.I liked Phantom (hated Mandrake) and thought Diana was gorgeous.
I wanted to be an astronaut too. I think the first sentence i learnt in class 1 was 'Neil Armstrong was the first man who landed on the moon' (perhaps, my first complete sentence in english)

Cheers,
Kochumon

the other romila said...

Hey...what a brainwave!
10 little bubbles with so many stories within them.
very interesting!
and as i look through your blog again...I also realise that we need more pics of ash...the budding dennis!
;) ;)

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...