Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tongue-in-cheek

The boy tells me histrionically the moment I reach home that he has a bad headache.
"Where did you bump your head today?" I ask worried.
"Nowhere. Vaava is talking so loud that I am getting a headache. I am going off to Ammachi's house if she continues so."
 
"I have seen Appacha's shame!" he confides to me.
As for his shame, he calls it the sotthu (property), a word he has inherited from his older cousin brothers. And he calls his bum chumbi. And when I apply his eye and nose drops at night, he tells me laughing: "Drops for my eyes, drops for my nose, drops for my sotthu and drops for my chumbi."
 
He complains that the kids in school are not sharing their "Happy Birthday cakes" with him. And that the Miss did not give him chocolate. Unlike him who takes Arrowroot biscuits for his late morning snack, the other kids bring cakes and chocolates and cocoa biscuits. I try to make him understand that he can have cakes and candies when his itching is gone.
He entreats: "Please get me icecreams and chocolates when my itching is gone." Poor kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sad ...indeed, when a 4 year old can not share b'day cakes with his peers..
Rosh try making steamed cakes with brown rice flour and jaggery (vattayappam!?)it may as well look like dark Al foil). i used to make cookies with rice flour,raw cane sugar and almond flour. my son still adores them!!!
love and best regards
thara

Ladybird said...

They are actually just cakes, but for Ash every cake is a b'day cake. HE associates cakes with bdays :)
He is not fond of vattayappam. Also we have to give him a low-fat diet until his lead level is normal.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...