Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Quiz time

On a friend's suggestion, I have started a quiz - off the cuff - at lunch time. It has been a great hit with the kids and now they demand it it the moment they sit down for lunch.
The Olympics gave me some ammunition. They learnt about Brazil, its beaches, mountains and people. About athletes and their achievements and failures this time. About Nikki Hamblin and sportsmanship - it made me emotional as I explained her gesture and the medal she got. The last time I got emotional was when I described Mahabali's benevolence and why he had to leave Kerala. For them, a Hindu legend is alien as they had learnt to segregate people in religious compartments in Chennai. Growing up in Kerala, I had seamlessly imbibed other faiths and their stories.
We meander questions about Kerala's tryst with the south-west monsoon every June, World War II, countries and their capitals, world leaders to birds and animals and the like. Often, while giving the right answers I take the liberty to go a little deeper into the subject in hand.
They decided on giving themselves points for the right answer but day before it led to a tiff and much wailing by Mira. The culprit question was "Where is medulla oblongata", something she is studying this year. It must be in Oman, she said. The right answer came from Ash, which made Mira accuse the quiz master of asking her alone tough questions. I threatened to stop the ritual for good, but yesterday they demanded quiz hour again but without the points system. Now, the onus is on me - to find new questions and not just casual ones that run through my mind.

1 comment:

Ninu said...

Wow .. Nice way of entertaining and enlightening kids

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...