Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Reading challenge

A challenge I have taken up is getting the kids to read the newspaper everyday - well, most days. Mira has slipped out of my hands after the summer vacation project to write about a news report that interested her every week - the country, its neighbors, the impact of the event discussed etc. So I had spent some time explaining Brexit and UK vs rest of Europe. Still, when a visiting uncle asked Ash what Brexit is, he said,, 'I think a guy contesting the US elections'!
The embarrassment made me prescribe intense newspaper reading. My victim was Ash, who cursed and procrastinated.... He read out headlines while I washed the dinner plates. However, certain questions he posed - what is prostitution, rape, adultery - left me fumbling for an answer. Prostitution, I told him, is an illegal trade, rape is treating someone badly physically, and adultery is getting too friendly with someone else's wife. My answers seemed to satisfy him and he did not ask any further.
Still, at some point I will have to initiate sex education at home. Or will they learn in school?

No comments:

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...