Thursday, September 29, 2016

Mother Earth

It's exam time and we are wracking our heads over motions of the earth in the social studies paper. Often we waver from the subject in hand and venture into space and God's place in the scheme of things.
Is god sitting in space? Can we see him if we go to space in a rocket?  What does he eat? Mira hurls a volley of questions at me.
I haven't given much thought about our God's abode. Unlike the Greek and Hindu gods, Jehovah is just somewhere out there.
Often, if I'm in a good mood, I cook up an answer on the spur and marvel at my ingenuity. (In a bad/preoccupied mood the answer is an aah which means I don't know.) A volcano, I tell her, is a pimple on the earth's face and if it bursts then we have the lava.
Explaining the earthquakes I tell her about the plates that join the earth's surface like the pieces in a jigsaw puzzle. 'Plate movement causes an earthquake. It's like you adjusting your skirt if it's a little loose. The earth is adjusting her skirt.'
"Amma, you are very funny," smiles Ash.

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...