Thursday, May 28, 2015

Hurricane hari

After a fortnight of not making eye contact, the ladies at the gym are warming up to each other. I have managed to get into hi -bye terms with an Egyptian lady who doesn't know much English, a Sri Lankan lady who has been coming to the gym for a year and is very serious about it and a malloo lady who is very friendly and was my first acquaintance here.
So after a couple of chats I invited my compatriot to my apartment after the work out. She told me she'll come another day. Yesterday she told me she'll come in the evening with her son. So I spruced up the house, got the kids to bathe early after school and not disturb the cleaned and orderly status of things.
They rang the bell a little after 5 pm. The little boy, around 5 years, looked unusually shy. He hid his face in his mother's belly and refused to show his face for a full 5 minutes despite entreaties from all of us. I found it a bit strange though the mother said he can be very active in the homes of her friends.
And then he slowly crawled across the sofa. Before I knew it he dived under the cot sending the neatly stacked shoes helter skelter, went up on the bunk bed and threw out all of Mira's toys down and then jumped down to the floor. He then shook the cot ladder much to our horror. Yanking the lone monster soft toy off the cot, he tried to tear it apart.
The shifting eyes and itchy feet looked for fresh objects to maul. The mother kept pleading with him to behave to no avail. Ash and mira looked highly amused by a kid who had thefreedom to go berserk. They triedto rope him in their usual games. By the time she decided to make a move I was earnestly wishing that they be gone.

No comments:

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...