Monday, May 25, 2015

Girl

The other day after our shopping and kids gaming spree, we went to the mall food court hoping to grab some dinner. While v and the kids went to order, I went and sat near a young African girl sitting with a small baby. I asked her if they had finished eating to check if the table was available. She said ."No finished" which I assumed meant they had finished.  So I sat there not much paying attention to the girl sitting with her head bent. A while later a lady, obviously her mistress, came with another kid in tow and began reprimanding her. She replied something and cowered again. The lady scowled at me and sat down. It suddenly dawned on me that she had probably scolded her for letting me sit there. I sat there until v came with the food ordered and asked if I could'nt find any other seat. I asked the lady if they had finished their meal and she vehemently said that they had not and were waiting. We found another table.
Soon the master came with McDonald's fare and the family of 5 began enjoying their meal while the young girl sat in a corner of the table looking down. She was not given any of the burgers or chips the rest of them had. The little nanny _probably in her teens_ sat like a stranger in their midst. We came away feeling sorry for the young girl wondering what hardships she faced in her own home and her adopted home. I wondered which country she belonged to; she was fair complexioned with light brown frizzy hair and full lips. Whatever, I hoped that she had had her dinner or had food waiting for her back home.

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...